Tuesday, April 1, 2008
Some of My Favorite Sensual Movies
When I am getting ready to start a new book, I start watching a lot of movies. It's a ritual that began with my first novel, Read Between the Lies, and has continued to this day. They inspire me and help get me in the storytelling mood. I always include some of my favorites in this ritual, movies I can watch over and over and never tire of. I thought I'd share with you some the most sensual movies in my collection.
To be clear, I'm talking movies that flex your sensory muscles, they entice all five of your senses to the point that you almost feel like you are experiencing the action. And even without the overt sex scenes, they all are very sexy.
1) Walk in the Clouds. A sweet, sensual love story of a WWII soldier who falls in love with the daughter of a wealthy Mexican aristocrat in California. This is one of the most sensually packed movies I've ever seen. I love it and never seem to tire of its rich, luscious sensuality.
2) Thomas Crown Affair I like both versions, the classic and the remake but I am particularly drawn to the Pierce Brosnan and Renee Russo's version. This is a sexy, cat and mouse game that showcases a strong, confident, sexy woman of a certain age, who still remains vulnerable and feminine. The soundtrack is awesome and the love scene in the entry and in the study is awe-inspiring.
One of my favorite filmmakers is the Mira Nair, a fabulous director from India. She has been hailed as “refreshingly unafraid to depict beautiful, lustful women who openly express their desires”. I wholeheartedly agree. You may have heard of or seen her movies, Mississippi Masala and Vanity Fair. Two of my favorite movies are directed by her.
3) Kama Sutra: A Tale of Love This movie is so sensually hot! Take an Indian Prince, his virgin bride, a sensual servant girl and her forbidden love, combine it with lush,colorful Indian scenery , lessons in the kama sutra and a tear-jerk love story and you have an amazing tale of love and illicit lust. Tasteful but oh so HOT! HOT! HOT!
4) Monsoon Wedding Again, an Indian love story full of family secrets and forbidden love. What I love about Mira Nair's movies are that they are about women who are fighting cultural taboos in their quest to live their own truth. As always, a rich, sensory experience.
4) Memoirs of a Geisha This is a visually stunning adaption of the best-selling book and is luxurious, ethereal and intoxicating. And to top it off, it has many lessons to learn on enticement and the power of seduction. Okay, the scene where Sayuri is taught how to stop a man in his track with one look is priceless and proves that true charm is indeed international affair.
Watch. Learn. Enjoy!